Archive for July, 2012
…but you may not realize it. Many Quibblonians have asked for a spell checker to be integrated into Quibblo, but most of the main browsers already have spell checking enabled. (Internet Explorer users, see the paragraph at the bottom of this post.)
With most browsers, when you make a typo in a text box, you’ll see a red squiggly line beneath the word that your browser thinks is incorrect.
Just use your mouse to right-click on the word to see suggested alternatives, then select the one you meant to type… and voilà!
If the word your browser thinks is a typo is actually correctly spelled and you think you’ll be typing it often, right-click on it and select “Add to dictionary.” That way, you shouldn’t see a red squiggly line for that particular word in the future.
So now there’s no excuse for typos in your quizzes and stories, right? Right?!
Internet Explorer Users
If you’re using Internet Explorer and you’re not seeing a spell checker, try downloading a free “add on” like Speckie (http://download.cnet.com/Speckie/3000-12512_4-75440009.html). Once you run this tool and restart Internet Explorer, you’ll see the same type of spell checking that users with other browsers see. (If you installed Speckie and you don’t see any spell checking, make sure it’s enabled. Click on “Tools,” then on “Manage Add-ons.” Scroll down until you see Speckie Settings. Its status should be “Enabled.”)
Mobile Safari Users
If you’re typing on an iPod or iPhone, the system software will try to autocorrect misspelled words (unless you have that functionality turned off). If you happen to ignore or cancel the system’s spelling suggestion, your misspelled word will be underlined with red dots. If you click on the word, you should see word suggestions to select.
Quibblo.com will be offline for maintenance for about five minutes, starting around 11:15am eastern time.
After combing through the site thoroughly, listening to user feedback, and digging through many stories, quizzes, and profiles, we have come up with new formulas to determine which users, quizzes, polls, and stories should be featured on Quibblo. These new formulas are designed to ensure that we turn the best content and most recent content into the most visible content. Here’s a breakdown of how they work:
- User has logged into his or her account within thirty days of the formula’s last run. So, login, check your messages, read some stories, and take some quizzes. Be sure you remain eligible!
- User has not posted adult content.
- User has an average of 4 stars or higher on all his or her posts combined.
- User is in the top twenty-five scoring results, where the score is determined by: the total of user’s quiz star rating times the number of times user’s quizzes were rated. If you want to make sure other users rate your posts, be sure to rate the posts of other users. Give your opinion – it matters! Other users will follow your example and rate in turn.
- User’s account is in active status.
- User follows the Qustoms to a decent degree.
- The story was posted within thirty days of the formula’s last run.
- The story is not flagged as adult.
- The story has an average of 4 stars or higher.
- The story is in the top twenty-five scoring results, where the score is determined by: the story’s star rating times the number of times the story was rated.
- User’s account tied to the story is in active status.
- The story follows the Qustoms to a decent degree.
- The story is a real story, not a repost or personal post.
- The story is either original or falls into a category that is currently popular.
- Or…the story provides information about the site or its partners that we feel the users should have.
- The poll was posted within thirty days of the formula’s last run.
- The poll is not flagged as adult.
- The poll has an average of 4 stars or higher.
- The poll is in the top twenty-five scoring results, where the score is determined by: the poll’s star rating times the number of times the poll was rated.
- User’s account tied to the poll is in active status.
- The poll follows the Qustoms to a decent degree.
- The poll is a real poll, not a repost or personal post.
- Or…the poll provides information about the site or its partners that we feel the users should have.
- The quiz was posted within fourteen days of the formula’s last run.
- The quiz is not flagged as adult.
- The quiz has an average of 4 stars or higher.
- The quiz is in the top fourteen scoring results, where the score is determined by: the quiz’s star rating times the number of times the quiz was rated.
- User’s account tied to the quiz is in active status.
- The quiz follows the Qustoms to a decent degree.
- The quiz is a real quiz, not a repost or personal post.
- Or…the quiz provides information about the site or its partners that we feel the users should have.
Quibblo’s Top Five Friends:
- User actively seeks out and answers the questions of fellow Quibblonians in a polite and accurate manner.
- User follows the Qustoms to a decent degree.
- User rates, and rates often.
- User makes consistent and valid use of the yay (thumbs up) and nay (thumbs down) buttons.
- Any other number of reasons determined by the Community Manager using the Quibblo account.
We hope that this helps bring the best stories and users to the surface and, as a whole, makes Quibblo a more fun place for everyone.
P.S. Any user/story nominated for a feature prior to today, if they were chosen, will retain eligibility to be featured by August 19th. All featured users and stories seen after this date will be based purely on the new method.
Our server host is experiencing issues. This is beyond our control, but we are/have been trying to contact the host to resolve the issues. If this page loads for you, we’re sorry that the site is down. Three of us are sitting in a cafe in Boston at 10:34pm trying to get the site back up. Please bear with us.
Is your message box exploding with invitations and notifications? Go to “Edit My Profile” and click on the orange “Notification Options” link. Here, you can elect to receive one email summarizing (and linking to) all comments and/or invitations at an interval of your choosing. This will keep your messages from piling up. Apparently, no one realizes this feature exists. Please, help spread the word.
There are Daily Polls, Featured Quizzes, and so on….but how do truly great stories get recognition on Quibblo? Starting tomorrow, we’re going to begin featuring great stories on the homepage, as often as possible.
We’ve done our research and already created the features for tomorrow, but we’ll need your help to produce more. Tell us about the BEST stories on Quibblo, so we can share them with the world. Comment on this blog post with a link to your favorite stories and any categories they might fall into (Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Original).
You are currently browsing the What's New at Quibblo – The Place for Quizzes, Stories, and More! blog archives for July, 2012.
Talk To Us
Like Us On Facebook!
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- February 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2007
- May 2007